You know those busy days that sneak up on you when you least expect it? You have your day planned out, and one thing after another happens unexpectedly until before you know it the day is gone?
Well, I had one of those the other day. From homeschool scheduling challenges to a missed trip to the grocery store, then getting that trip done right before dinner time . . . and I was almost home when my husband called to tell me we had to get our car into the shop to be fixed before they closed. Making dinner was definitely out of the question that night. What is an SCDer to do on a day like this??
That day, I opted to grab a couple of SCD-legal fruit leathers on my way out the door after unloading groceries. I didn't have any SCD food in the freezer. We stopped at fast food for the others and I munched on my fruit leathers, knowing that I could whip something up when I got home. Everyone else was happy, so that was good enough at that point!
When I got home, I made a bowl of SCD yogurt with honey, chopped banana, and chopped pecans. Quick, delicious, and quite filling!
It's a good idea to have fast go-to SCD snacks and meals in the back of your mind for these busy days. Either have SCD treats in the freezer, or use ingredients that are almost always on hand. With these you can pull something together fairly quickly and easily.
Do you need some ideas? These are what I often turn to in busy times:
- Smoothies using SCD yogurt, frozen fruit, honey, speckled banana, and a handful of frozen spinach. This is one of my favorites.
- Frozen Easy Sandwich Bread can be made quickly into a grilled cheese sandwich or peanut butter & honey sandwich. Microwave to warm up, and toast to add a little extra texture and crunch. Oh, yes, and don't forget to let the cheese on your grilled cheese sandwich ooze out onto the pan and cook for a while for a nice crunchy treat!
- Cook up some crunchy cheese lace to dip in homemade guacamole, salsa, or chicken salad . . . or just enjoy it by itself. It's a great substitute for chips and my family tells me it's better than Cheez-Its (as they eye my serving a bit jealously and the kids ask for more).
- Stuffed dates - They are so good! I like to stuff them with either nuts or a small slice of cheddar cheese. Carbs + protein = go power! If you stuff them with nuts they don't require refrigeration, making them a great take-along snack.
- Cut an apple into small pieces and top with peanut butter (just peanuts & salt) and honey.
What do you eat on busy days?
Hi! I'm Erin, from over at NoMoreCrohns.com. I know firsthand the healing power of food, and I love to share delicious recipes with you! While everything I make is free of gluten, grains, lactose, and refined sugar, none is short on flavor! It is flavor first for good health here. Enjoy.
MyThrivingKitchen.com and NoMoreCrohns.com are participants in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com
We will always link to products we highly recommend.
|My thriving kitchen||
You might also like...